Back to the Faith and the Art.

"The journey homewards. Coming home. That's what it's all about. The journey to the coming of the Kingdom. That's probably the chief difference between the Christian and the secular artist – the purpose of the work, be it story or music or painting, is to further the coming of the Kingdom, to make us aware of our status as children of God, and to turn our feet toward home."
– Madeleine L'Engle, Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art
Oh man, do I love this book. But it's been a while since I read it and I realize I let the house renovations and the illness crowd out the creativity over the last year. 

I actually love re-making our house. I love the painting, tiling, taking down walls, re-configuring... just really like making a small, older-but-not-old-enough-to-be-cool 1989 house into something more cozy and giving it some character. But last fall I got knocked off track with the breast cancer diagnosis. Which is completely understandable and unavoidable as far as time is concerned. You lose control of your time and planning for a bit while going through treatment. 

Then I just felt weak, so I didn't really tackle anything. Then we started a design business and I had a fairly large job earlier this summer. The travel... and stuff... and things... and here we are on the last day of August and I've created very little since my surgery on Dec 30. And I wonder why I've felt antsy and unsettled and kind of all over the place with my emotions? 
"But when the world is, indeed, in chaos, then an affirmation of cosmos becomes essential." – Madeleine L'Engle, Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art
I'm pretty sure I lost my view of the cosmos amidst the chaos of this past year*. Actually, I'm sure I didn't actually 'lose' my view so much as I closed my eyes to block out the chaos instead of opening my eyes wider to find the greater cosmos.

So this week I've tackled the master bath. Partially because it needs to be done but really because I remember how it was before the leak – dark, damaged walls (most likely from scraping off wallpaper at some point before we came along), it wasn't functional.

Damage along the shower edge

I'm guessing they removed wallpaper and didn't worry about the walls while scraping (every wall looked like this.)




This was just after installing a new light above the shower. Still dark and shadowy.

But at some point this went from a "have to do" to a "want to do, want to improve, want to repair and re-create and make whole"... which is a pretty good start after a year of creating very little little. It's coming along and I'm enjoying the process. I feel more like myself than I have in a long time 👍

Horizontal plank panels, cement board ready for tile

Replaced the door trim on inside and outside of the bathroom and closet doors (below)

More wall damage along the fake wood door
New (but not yet primed or painted) door framing

Last thought: Even though I closed my eyes to what was going on, God didn't. Even in the middle of the mess He allowed me to be a part of the Resurgam Coffee story. He knows what we need even when we don't realize a part of our self is suffering from not being who we are created to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art journaling in the dark.

Being brave.

Again! Again!